Friday, January 7, 2011

January Inspiration!

Every January, I want to start off the new year fresh and perfect.  For some reason - this year, my need for fresh and perfect has me paralyzed.   I’ve been wandering around my shop trying to take down the Christmas decorations and find something interesting to put together for this long gray month.  A fresh, perfect, inspirational January decorating theme is what I crave.  
I pop a couple of crunchy dried out pine needles in my mouth, pretending they taste like Rosemary and convincing myself they are a yummy addition to my fresh new January diet plan .... but still ... nothing.
Sure enough - I’m starting off my new year .... un-inspired.
I stare at my computer and consult with Facebook, trying to decide if it’s just me, or if  everyone is experiencing the same creative standstill and just like that - up pops my overachieving cousin Megan.  Megan is the one who had Halloween completed in July, Christmas packages were wrapped in September and she is currently working on Easter.  “Snap out of it”, she proclaims.  Just start!!
For anyone else out there who might be looking for some direction, here are some easy - do it yourself ideas from Megan (an accomplished re-purposer) that might help you jump start your creative juices for a fresh, decorative and  purposeful 2011!
An old milk can, Her daughter Sophie's red scarf, last year's snow flake lights and sticks from their tree make up this January centerpiece.  BTW - Megan tells me that the bench belongs to our Grandmother Esther- who turns 95 TODAY!  Here's to Grandma -  an original thrifter before thrifting was cool!

Megan's new "crafty room" .  She started this (transform a corner of the basement) project yesterday, so she'll keep us posted as she moves along. 

Ever wonder how to marry a kind of ordinary clock and an old picture frame ... here you go.

And finally ... an old window re-purposes into a message center for her four kids.

Thanks Megan ... I think I'll go paint something red now!   And here's my contribution - for anyone wondering how to re-purpose all those dried up pine needles from your tree ... try them in soup!
Happy 2011!!


No comments:

Post a Comment