Friday, November 6, 2009

PIllows!


This week I stepped back in time. Way back. Yet somehow, the result was just about the same as it was some 35 years ago.

It was sixth grade and I was a member of the Eagle County 4-H sewing club. Sewing club leader ... Mom. First year sewing club project ... the famous red and white checked pert skirt. Now why anyone choose a check for their first sewing project is beyond me. I mean really, what are the chances of all those checks ever matching up? But at the time, it looked so pretty and it just felt right. All I remember is fierce battles with thread and bobbins and Mom, several tries at straight lines, several tear outs and rip outs and in the end ... frustration and defeat. The night before the fair, mom gave up and finished the dog gone thing while I quietly sat next to her collecting the pins as she pulled them from fabric while easily sewing perfect seams.

Now, as my regular customers with sewing talent know, I needle everyone who walks through the door by asking if they would like to sew some pretty pillows to consign at my shop. Thus far, no takers, so I decided to do it myself. Pert Skirt memories are vague and really, how hard can a pillow be.

Mom and I went to JoAnne’s and had fun choosing fabric and pillow forms. We had fun laying it all out flat and straight and we even had a little bit of fun measuring and pinning where the seams should be ... but that’s about where the fun ended. Once the sewing machine came out, the fun part was all over and once again, in the end, mom declared that she gets to be the sewer and I get to collect the pins.

But ... I guess that in a way, this time I won! After mom was all done with her sewing, I drug the pillows down to the shop and decided to doll them up with my own brand of embellishments. Some hand-made buttons and bobbles and ribbons and bows will soon adorn my collection. Swing by and take a peek at my wonderful new hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment