Friday, July 31, 2009

Only in a consignment shop!


SOLD!
Here is an - only in a consignment shop story for you ...

Last week, I decided to take a day to go out on a marketing mission. I plotted my route, packed my postcards and left my shop securely in the hands of mom. After a long hot day of driving through traffic, parking, un-parking and distributing postcards, I was happy to get back to the shop and see how the day went.

How welcoming my little shop looked! It appeared that mom had a good day taking in chairs, trees and a number of other offerings. She sat behind the desk with her quilting loosely confined to my sales space visiting with one of my consigners. The three of us started reviewing the new merchandise and became particularly fond of a darling little old magazine stand that had just arrived in the flurry of things.

Our curiosity grew and we looked the piece over, under around and through for a sign of it’s history. “Oh ... here, right in front of us ...”, I exclaimed as I spotted what seemed to be an unusual way to carve an identifying stamp into a vintage magazine stand. None the less, we were happy to find it and in unison, we slowly read the vertical brand of our sweet piece ... “wur .. ship .. say ..tin”. Also, in unison, all three of our jaws dropped. It felt like we had just come face to face with an impostor.

Well, after a few moments of contemplative silence, we agreed this magazine table has been wrongly profiled. She just needs the “pretty” brought back into her life! I took a before picture then sent her off to my restoration facility. It may take a couple of weeks, but I have an inkling this piece will emerge fresh, fancy, and feature frilly little tea cart heels. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment