Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It started with the Take Apart Table.


This is an all too familiar story about a college girl and her essentials. It involves the quarterly drill of musical apartments, me and my 1971 Super Beetle, my dad, and his red English Land Rover with matching small trailer, and the usual collection of starter furniture.

For reasons of bettering my lifestyle, nearly every quarter, soon after the ink dried on my last final, I’d call my dad ... “fire up the Rover, I’m moving!” Dad would convoy to town and help me load up the ensemble of trappings I called furniture and off we would go to my new digs! I took great pleasure in arranging my cinder block book shelves, saw-horse and door table/desk combo, fluffy pillow couch/chair affair, hip posters and green house plant collection into different configurations. The newness and freshness gave me hope and inspiration for better grades in the upcoming quarter. Each new living quarter required additions to my collection and with each new piece it took more imagination for the inexperienced onlooker to appreciate just how my theme was developing.

Along about Junior year, Dad lost interest in the moving cycle and my folks took matters into their own hands. That Spring, I was presented with my first piece of “real” furniture. It was a beautiful little oak trestle table embellished with a keyhole cutout, accompanied by two benches. It was designed by my parents and dubbed “The Take Apart Table”. It came with their "Less is More" advice and they convinced me that I could live a more fulfilling life with this one artistic, simplistic, versatile, functional piece that would, ahem, fit into my Volkswagon. They had motive since my collection of necessary favorite things now required a U-Haul.

I love my table and I embraced my parents’ philosophy making it the cornerstone of my style. I now own a small home furnishings consignment shop where I feature once cherished and gently used “really nice versatile pieces”. Sometimes it is that one quirky item that sets the tone ... in a room and in life! So, be on the lookout for the unusual!

No comments:

Post a Comment